Re: Orban 6200 distortion
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Orban 6200 distortion
From: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:36:45 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ieee-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=EJU3bpJTqJhSlWsefAKQyf3WBZZwjqNVqaeErt2BBBM=; b=kb+k8SQM00RulLe/mqxpwwOaZc7y2PwkkqmpIvxp+uZVSqZFq2k5Bhc9VVUZvgjC49 ovAYX0vrRKToAGlKmIxyVuvhDW3kDU6Vr3Lykv8aiijE3/8XGJuR0CDCOsnb8xaHyfVL wZrdQ0pd/0b10JP4ekkqJLFNksTTa5dy6RTvLHd5pJ4fF0tPMtWB1lpsuxjqbVVnwpBv Ptkxcs1quX78O6mx5XA/wowWLntuCLie2CoiVu9rUuxsXMyAwsabP5TqAlJHpR6DOVV9 roCfnkHdVbrXpqAgsbGkdWR0nwpjvlJI9NQleZd/D/FBN5AH4jP5lPPRXMBTJ2ESSyDq WT9g==
On Jun 22, 2017, at 14:54, Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall some time back a discussion thread about distortion in Orban processors and changing out the caps to fix it. Mine distorts on the lower end the most. Besides the power supply caps - and the supply lines have low ripple, would it be all of those tantalum caps in the analog section?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Van Gorkom
> Radio Esperanza Engineering, KRIO AM/FM, KOIR FM
> Office: 956-380-8150
> Cell: 865-803-7427

Now, now, Tom... you better be careful!

You know you're not supposed to be opening up anything electronic to attempt component-level repair, right?

Modern-day broadcast "engineers" are only supposed to know how to call the manufacturer and send the unit back in with an RMA to get the factory to repair it, or you're supposed to just buy another one to replace the problematic unit.

So, without any delay, quickly and carefully PUT DOWN the screwdriver and soldering iron gun, STEP AWAY from that gun, and don't go back near them again.

This way, we can help ensure the ongoing dependency of all modern-day broadcast facilities on equipment manufacturers who are only interested in staying in business by obsoleting some radical, rebellious processes called "thinking" and "repairing".

You might hurt yourself if you try doing too much of the former, and there's definitely danger in the latter!

(Besides, remember that you shouldn't be using that term "engineering" in your signature line ... If you missed it back in early May, you should go read my warning in one of my prior LinkedIn posts at http://bit.ly/engineer-impostor .  You might get a nastygram from your state board of engineering licensure...)

Happy Friday's Eve!  :-)

—
Sherrod Munday
<smunday@ieee.org>