Re: Weird noise when changing to mono?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Weird noise when changing to mono?
From: John Stortz <ka4flx@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 10:10:11 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=yvyMT4U3uTcv+5lKDZI9DR6GlAu+czNqZQ9YcSZp3IU=; b=MdQVi1FINK6QwZWdOZLzzqDuue2qB74ihXnnVXJj2LZOl7idxNDUs57QKaE8T/Os/Q WjPFstPZ8aRFzIEqyowaJuPdYPAG/6HHgKllWKu/12ubdOQelHJw0a4N23hQyAy6XVtv MC2j7Dz2NZZ3uTuiQlztOeyTElowb4bkV0mFy5Ozfie0AI/E5IPj48AZJt/8Y/xyFpX6 a90bF+sWWWTfHiniWoq/yV7AONVQBh7ZySyrjV+Xame+O6kgiY/iKnlds0ho3bby0lWk aesCKuHii6Lb6W9hDMSBwyUps1CmP7pE6kL9TmZq3k11Bh+26sGDqQzT6ETLxn9rbX7S wVUg==
I do only short recordings, so record every original file as .WAV & am not editing portions to mono, so my situation isn't quite the same, but am using a Behrringer  UFO202 box to digitize the audio.

There seemed to be a similar noise & whine, which I eventually traced to some kind of flukey ground issue. My equipment is on two different power branch circuits & there appears to be a very slight difference in ground voltages between the two circuits. I solved the problem with a power cord with THREE male plugs all connected together. It looks dangerous, but only the ground pins are connected. NOTHING connected to HOT or NEUTRAL pins.
Once built, I plugged one plug into each of the two circuit outlets & the third plug goes into the outlet of the local battery backup unit. No more noise.

This is a home studio. An inspector would have a panic if they found this patch cord with three male plugs.

John S.

*Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
*~Oscar Ameringer~