Re: Extended WiFi link
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Extended WiFi link
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 10:59:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=nju+fpR14isgKGEFYa3zPLFnEQm7VnKUH8FAaq+pkkA=; b=rURlNXHsA1MKvd7absJvRTLxzjw4ldBHnveC9hW/r3H+caBbhRhTOnYieMT6/DKYoM NMCa5w2VxqGLHgt2Go7BF8dRl2bLFTY9NSfjKhzh8omPh5LCQRY6yPMsmEAxEqCbWdih +QWESr87TzBLwYEc2y5eYHATR2sZiKMs5GgTSTsPsqdab7ODMdr/MyWJAJtiMnMouN67 b7nLSJZL4Pulm2WHfzekVKkWrpcwhYelaSX+QBYcRPOSAtKIYCiI+QhTM6cIaPC+6Ad6 kibwVMSTxsg9eb89KS0Bqyimc3ufpS70AB3OV12j3n8w3tz/LT5rA+yKlrTKGx3hZdRE 4aeA==
My first Ubiquiti link was with Bullet radios and separate antennas, but since then I've been using the PowerBeam and Nanobridge all-in-one products. Yes, you have to send somebody up the tower if a radio goes bad but the convenience of the rest is amazing.

I've got several of these types of systems in use and all are fantastic. I haven't gone over ten miles with one yet though my very first unlicensed IP radio system used Tranzeo radios and 2' Hutton dishes. That ran for years on a 17 mile path until something died after I was no longer employed with the organization and they decided not to troubleshoot and repair the system. If I had my druthers now I would stick a Bullet radio on the feed for each of those antennas and that would probably work just great again.

The thing about using Heliax to connect the Bullet radio to the antenna is that you're in the 5GHz range and loss in the line will be significant, especially for a low-power system. It will also increase the cost of your system by a LOT, at least if you get large enough line to keep your loss low.

So there are trade-offs, but for me the trade-off has been to use the all-in-one radios where you send the shielded CAT5 or CAT6 up the tower. It has worked well for me. I also use Flytec as Kevin does. They have been great and virtually always have what I need in stock. Once recently I had to make a choice *after* placing the order of whether an International radio was OK. It had the US channels and a bunch of channels that are apparently legal elsewhere. So I had to send back a release saying I would not use International channels domestically. No sweat and it avoided waiting a few days for a shipping container full of product to get unloaded.

Mark
MN