Latency (WAS: axia/wheatstone)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Latency (WAS: axia/wheatstone)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 10:31:59 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=gMgDjQ82pqV8EKv6XZI0AGwguAvgIwx2HIEGOHpoh6E=; b=UCj7spkAuh4x4sJji9teT4va/LRPDt5jYnkF7aPNlX22wGNxPbf2qis66/gIzpI/s2 IE8SmCxtnGCTP1cn73nwWZAr/cmwpIwO3i4k25C4jbuw1LT/hIid4FZD51GrROVZpmox 1999FUHkZ7AF+MbpAht6NkHPvnje8j/a48dZcirdpoT53hxPaxE0ETRx0hWqUkWM4o7W E1BLr6UKw3ksk7GjrVTnZAyfeW+aicu1Gu+0jCpZeMToCsTjO9irmbBjM/q2H0UnpZ3x hfs1RXEhLi5GQ6aFpxoAfMOWnwfCORMNHL0AmNNsJ6z+RFRVQVvqPSfKrPrkSyq5XGPf d+qg==
When I first installed our digital Moseley STL in 2012, that was a problem for our on-air staff, as well. The only workaround that I know of, is to build an analog "sidechain" audio processing system, exclusively for the headphone audio monitor system.

the way I configured ours, was to use relays, which are controlled by the on-air mic tally light circuit. When the mics are off, the audio is routed from the modulation monitor to all systems. When the mic is on, the sidechain is switched-in.

I'm using a simple Symetrix 525 to "process" the audio, so that they can hear a compressed feed that *resembles* the on-air processing. This allows for MUCH better-sounding talkovers over music, because they can achieve a better voice/music balance. :)

Before I had this system in place, (for just a couple weeks) they simply switched monitor sources from AIR to PRG... but couldn't get the right voice/music balance that way.

For a minimal investment in gear and a few hours to homebrew the switching system (surely, prefab systems exist) it has been paying great dividends ever since! :)

It will become more of a challenge, tho, when the time comes to replace our aging analog board with a digital one, because of the latency in the board, itself... but I'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :)

I'll comment more about the proposed Axia board in another post. :)

Willie...