RE: axia/wheatstone
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: axia/wheatstone
From: "Jeff Heins" <jlheins0001@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 22:39:58 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :thread-index:content-language; bh=faCYuj5Ryw+euenidsQ8T3IMxizdhlOwxZ/lOuIN1ZA=; b=n6ZCDt0XKXPdOxuN/kpE/Ycu7dC/xHFrMV9dr6n2ImQ3yO9yPpWw9B2OBamb53/8hK tLoqegGjh4icZNUxENpqBSHPx+oSuW1AG4WppN8+wTA9FWjdFZ8hQOD+1vB+U+NC3NqV W1BDvUpK4ZojGRE6JkfJtswXj7lVoVUHP33Dgng78Mzj4WxAULLeXg7cun56njRqT5A5 Eb9I5VzVrLr1js5ThxM2bWQWF1uJSzbKxK4uLUAwc2+NyCHWk6PL+44lTGpubF431PlP N34KA+6+y7DsNxQ8P5ZX11UgpmDBbI0gOS6AzMDAtFq1AAD7Js8MKsncZb5JDZRz/Y2E iGfA==

Pat,

I’m not Bill, but I’m doing similar with an Air 1 in our prod studio build, mainly because of having a new Air 1 that has been used for about a week (not all at the same time) and then stored. The cost difference between recycling the Air 1 or putting in an IQ or Desq with a QOR is fairly big, especially because the Air 1 is almost new.

In our new facility build, the main studio is a Fusion with the Power Station/Power Station AUX combo. We’re also putting in a VX Prime phone system tied to a FreePBX office phone system, all calls in and out via SIP trunk.

I’m putting a single XNode into the prod studio, with its four outputs going into pots 3-6 on the Air 1, pot 7 being fed from an analog port on the Power station in the next room (via cat cable) and pot 8 as a USB input to the Air 1 for walk in laptop connectivity.

This gives 5 pots the ability to have access to any Livewire stream available. I plan on using the Pathfinder software to have a “button bar” on the utility computer in the prod room, giving the ability to select what stream goes to each pot.

My existing mic processors go in the prod studio, with the mic level outs going right to the Air 1, the line levels going into the XNode. This gets mic audio into both the Air 1 and the Livewire domain, so if needed I can pull in the prod room mics to the main studio with a few mouse clicks.

This also gives the ability to create a mix minus for the VX Prime extension to the prod room, since Air 1 lacks a mix minus. That actually was the reason for picking up an XNode, and in thinking that process through, the idea of using it as a 4 in 4 out audio router just sort of happened.

Also into two of the XNode inputs are both of the Air 1’s mix busses, getting mixed audio into the Livewire network as well.

Our automation is not Livewire compatible at this point, so recording directly into automation has to convert down to analog to get in, but 90% of our production is done in Adobe Audition/Audacity, and that computer is using the Livewire drivers.

Down the line a few years, we can invest in another mix engine and a mic node plus the Axia Soft Surface and we’ll have a virtual production room board and retire the Air 1.

It’s all in the design stage at this point, waiting contractors to finish up the building, but I hope to be moving the Axia stuff from my family room to the facility in the next 30 days.

Jeff Heins

My Bridge Radio Network

KRKR-KROA-KHZY-KPNY-KMBV-KSSH-KQIQ