Re: Spectrum Analyzers and the FCC
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Spectrum Analyzers and the FCC
From: JIm Turvaville <jimturbo61@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 02:40:05 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1491878419; bh=XUVBrQyjWhBDi6ZKUTzLm1x2V0iRJ+zWGWcQl1XYnhA=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=abqgVgNBkalmJRH6SraBvRqFfoC1+7eph2fblGNYMim23YodlBNO+hjML0fNWxfAuDS1lOgoeJcqRyr56GN/NKuf6GGS55aRjVgyv4BiwfNk3A2fl2WYU7zpFkVLIleX0Dod/t59p4zRNL1HxxGZy9VHZrmeXaPzAAGGtwO1rVoD5l5J1xIrTopwiWU7WRmXP4D23KlDIeLQR8KOmNMF5dEt6qi1QqHVek3TxUodwiRFtPJ7E4Uh7Gn6N3gzOXGntFxKQRMKfbQ5o7cnXWC40O9AMgoqOfeEuUfdu+PsKe2kuDcRF+yEUL+7M5EdoQYq7sStkCriv3NKaGIy2uVtNg==
The phrase "type accepted" is tossed about a lot, and many times very incorrectly.  But Steve is probably referring to the requirement that any piece of test gear used to make FCC certified measurements has to have some traceable calibration certification like Sherrod mentions to verify its accuracy for the purpose used. In my old days, that was most often made in reference to field intensity meters, but can also be spectrum analyzers or anything else used to provide readings for an FCC filing.

Jim "Turbo" Turvaville
SBE Certified Radio Engineer
Turbo Technical Services
 PH: 719-459-1859