Re: RE: Best way to handle poor electric delivery
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: RE: Best way to handle poor electric delivery
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 17:41:32 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=X0N3RwSxIOlPJ6fGxDP0G00qRBR8gRuUAAS6Jj7xWgw=; b=enJWPM+a3eFzCLtjiDJ2N4cNi5hytbbZbkjIPhomDysAkMwexbahQJW4f/snLDcm2v FVExcpJwDeChYiEudOpmd9LQERPKxpJvknoWz3HtTXAnejSwpWKB+e1Sm+wWAcwZQKGz STDrpTVHmsh2Z2cnCTHBbKIuZwJ3GRl8f+hkpTm5i6JHRbfy0kMSkp5pNC3JJm9938bM 4ydUmqEdbF6jZtao3UjA8qBzeKO/cvpBu0GVSTWn1BDi1pgJg792ouxozB4Lhi7ivg9f Jt1RyoL5pEm36RmJsR0a8YkHiXxnm5zlK5+C48vpsu9mrv7tj81gxIkBwuc5omqfmAgC A3rw==
I currently have a site that has had a number of electrical issues during the two years I've been connected with the company, and there are stories of additional problems down through the years. There is a strap that disappears out toward the tower but no sign of where they physical connection might be out there. Turns out there is NO electrical ground by the building. NONE. And the strap doesn't appear to be bonded to the electrical ground anyplace, other than equipment that's in the rack might be connected because the rack is connected to the strap. Last victim at the site was the motherboard of the Omnia Six processor. Ouch.

So as best we can tell, the thin wire at the electric pole, 100 or so feet from the building, is the electrical ground, and it gets back to the service entrance via the neutral, if I'm seeing things correctly. So this Spring this site will get a well, a ground ring around the building, with a connection at the well bonding both the RF and electrical grounds. This will make our LEA surge suppressor much more effective, I believe.

The power is 120/240 three-phase closed delta. We're not all that far from the substation so it seems like we should have been OK, but obviously this grounding issue is huge. I'm guessing maybe it worked OK enough at the beginning when the ground rod(s) were driven but now it's just about useless.

Thanks to Steve Hasskamp of American Amplifier for helping sort this out. We had him up to resolve some issues with the Continental transmitter on site and had him evaluate the grounding situation. He was appalled with what we found, and frankly I'm surprised that this wasn't something that was handled sooner since this site has been on the air since the early 1980s.

This site has two high-power FMs so there's a lot at stake when things go kaboom.

Mark
MN