Re: Best way to handle poor electric delivery
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Best way to handle poor electric delivery
From: Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 10:39:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=pf5cSwSmN5MCb6tYkr6rmB04k6XyvNcUrQPnKA8NiNw=; b=omRXS81OsN/XHjBatwM3FO1BYytW2PseYInlgpjBYiSs7NUYBlEmIZVtDBeE2W6cqa XNoSEQVKHAV3T721uMlZNU/NdsNykJDy5UQI1BSmZibEdlOn8F/EHAoR8V87GDkESnVB uSZxm+9uovUt10Qb3M+uG/WELvyvyFNUH/HLzwuWbmfZTgRRk9jyaoyuFGKvEFCmkCti 70mWwdMnnMER186Ba77rDuPmhKeFVc8R9lgop8+heVdXXOltmXFs03YOH5oep/jXXJk8 On0hJkRCMgxsAt1TiZMB09miHiKVel2QNGc0hR9JIBRg1eD99FuM83zJcgPThrvvPNR2 dAew==
Do you have true 3 phase power with one 3 phase transformer and three lines plus ground feeding it or is it open delta with 2 lines plus ground and usually two smaller transformers?

Until we insisted that the power company give us true 3 phase power, our AM site suffered constant TX power supply failures, A/C compressor failures, tower light fuses blowing, etc from the surges. Open delta can be determined also by a "wild" leg - one of the three lines coming into the building will be a higher voltage (~210 VAC) in respect to ground than the other two (120 VAC). They should all still be about 220-240 leg to leg. It's a lousy system that power companies like to use to save money but they are unbalanced with no path for line surges or the transmitter harmonics except to circulate in it's power transformer and other devices and blow them out. I understand that in some locations, you can insist that they change to true 3 phase because their installation is damaging your equipment.

We had to push hard and provide and install all the underground wiring and building installation. The power company paid for running new lines from the road to the edge of our property pole, the transformer and connections.

As a last resort, you can install the older type motor-generator 3 phase generator or a new solid state type. either one will have periodic maintenance.

Tom Van Gorkom
Office: 956-380-8150
Cell: 865-803-7427

Rio Grande Bible Institute