Bambo cell tower story - for real or meant for 4/1?
To: crtech@crtech.org
Subject: Bambo cell tower story - for real or meant for 4/1?
From: Alan Kilgore <wrvm.engineer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 09:41:08 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=message-id:from:date:to:subject:mime-version; bh=xcs6Q0OX1cBnnzJBKt1z1u5/R4oSat2lyH/ngb+SbsI=; b=nMzVLcNwp8YS5qGMniqPyPS7n+taOcYapHfRStW6j2ciUd5gW+Ae16xLcLQSPhF8Mn P3uTJUoA5abFEyEwRdCgCJiePI5WldXi9W6JhvByv9PB0BgoGA8ZmOvhd+I2y6scNBcu xi5aa+l9xgfK0yA8z1Ubk6Z2sbEStOC3zr4JGl3bSU4paiTSP2fnJGt51CgEX1JzL07h pEM5udLPxqh599lAKLZ49cJAQK4Vp5UuaiEBqVosZXxmO/IMghOXqJCW9knBG8PAfWrQ SxPBg2ARl8A8BayNPi1/W8CTDgPE/FE1695qfRT/UHzaaLGhx05WIAbR+bF8CBkUcJNz F/nw==
Seeing the story on this bamboo tower today makes me wonder whether it should have been scheduled to be released tomorrow instead of today. But other stories that came out several days ago make this seem more believable... and the 10 year life span definitely makes it seem more believable.
____________________________________
Alan Kilgore, CPBE
WRVM Chief Engineer

It can withstand wind gusts of up to 130 mph, with an expected life span of about 10 years according to the Dhaka Tribune. It takes around 12 days to build and has a capacity to house up to eight antennas at a time, enabling co-location. It is a cell tower made of bamboo.

A Malaysia-based telecommunications infrastructure company has teamed up with engineers of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology to build the country's first cell phone tower made from the native material.

Edotco Group, owned by Axiata Group, claims to be the world's 14th largest tower company with a footprint of over 7,500 towers in Bangladesh. The largest is behind the project recently installed on a rooftop in Dhaka.

If the use of bamboo tower turns out to be successful, incentives would be offered for the home-grown technology.

The research and development of the project focused on the design and viability of bamboo as an alternative material to traditional steel structures in telecommunications. "We are very pleased to see the installation of the first bamboo telco tower in our country. Bangladesh is a country with plenty of natural resources, including bamboo, which is a renewable material," Professor Ahmad said while speaking at a recent conference.

Full story is at:
https://www.mobileworldlive.com/asia/asia-news/axiata-tower-unit-edotco-utilises-bamboo-in-rooftop-site/

Beware of word-wrap issues for the URL!

Follow-Ups: RE: Bambo cell tower story - for real or meant for 4/1?
("Bill Hurne" <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com>, 31 Mar 2017 16:24:19 -0000)