Re: Caution: targeted infected email supposedly from "CRTech"
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Caution: targeted infected email supposedly from "CRTech"
From: "Allard, Mark G" <MGAllard@unwsp.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:38:15 +0000

Thank you Sherrod.

On Mar 29, 2017 7:53 AM, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org> wrote:
Good morning, CRTech!

I have to say -- in all my years of using email, this is the first time I've seen this specific ploy against a listserv.  Either someone on this list just got smacked with a virus that scraped their inbox for possible targets, or something/someone is looking at online archives to gather addresses and other info to appear more legitimate.

The email was delivered directly to my email address -- **NOT** through the CRTech listserv.

My spam filter caught and flagged it, but it's interesting to me that the virus/sender used a name & .sig of "CRTech" with a return email address of something related to radio.  (I can't tell if the email is from a valid CRTech listserv member or not -- I don't recognize "voxrox" as anyone who's posted before, and I don't know the other recipients either.)   The headers reveal that the email originated in France.

The link (removed for obvious reasons) goes to some offshore site - no doubt it hosts either a phishing attack or just pure malware/ransomware.

This is just another great example why you need to be careful and examine each email for links and content that may look legitimate upon a cursory glance.

To paraphrase the tag line some others use here on the list:

"Always Vigilant",

--Sherrod

Begin forwarded message: