RE: RE: RDS Woes
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: RE: RDS Woes
From: "Bill Hurne" <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:30:41 -0700

Very wide variations between different RDS radios.   Some display only PS.   Some seem to display only PS, but will also display RT only if you press an RT or Text button on the radio.  Most radio users do not know about pressing buttons.

Many of the newest radios display both PS and RT at the same time.

PS displays only a maximum of 8 characters at a time, so must be “scrolling” to display long text lines.  If a word is longer than 8 characters, it must be divided up or “scrolled” one or more characters at a time.   You don’t want to set the scroll rate too fast, some radios may have trouble keeping up with it.

RT or Radio Text generally displays a whole line of text at once, but only up to 64 characters.

Bill