RE: Unusual sources of dropouts (Was: SRN News audio Dropouts)
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Unusual sources of dropouts (Was: SRN News audio Dropouts)
From: "Bill Hurne" <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 11:38:35 -0800
The "cow fade" was probably the mesh dish at my first station, a mission
station at Western Indian Ministries on the Navajo Reservation.  They
eventually put a fence around it.   It wasn't in a pasture, but just outside
the office and studio building.  On the reservation they let their branded
cattle roam around freely, no fenced in pastures and sometimes the bovines
wandered onto the mission grounds.

One morning I received dead air alarms, and found the mesh dish pushed way
out of alignment.  Also found plenty of cow hairs on the dish and knew what
happened.  Quickly restored reception by adjusting the dish back to the
alignment marks I fortunately left on it.

Bill

--

And then there's the time that I had to help a station engineer with "cow
fade" on his satellite dish... Suffice it to say that his dish was

I suggested that he might want to replace the dish and then invest in a
simple fence around it.  Problem solved.

Sherrod Munday
<smunday@ieee.org>