Re: Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
From: Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:46:45 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=+wxIcIwMCnFh1gvNX8daixHHoePTo6uVv60j936Z0ew=; b=TNXphYGxYNTUXLIQeCoeQWK+cCLV+aM2QHAdovGU1o5wCzo35HolK3Zl/LoUf0AFI4 JRuawh98pnd5a1kzKA0U5UZwp0V7Abd5RwIpJi+pmeMhGsRdazloA2b7atPwcOJCGMZw jH+vgaYaEbxT5fmUiL7FW9yCAsdx6JGb32xgkIAq5fqqprevOETuKgT6uqSLbw7KbUuy /VitpPGMwAqoU5QA1eYni9dCmCOMWzTKC4Kr3A8geoqYZuMIsv6/H2vYA6YibbgrcpPb dYZJPP7zIGhU6mwMnp1JMHFi95QQmTMirTime94KEaCmG6CJqblXOHSEDdmy06/sW2xz wwrA==
Good article. Again, no documentation that the device was definitively proven to be the actual cause of
 a problem. Even then, none of those problems actually resulted in an "incident" jeopardizing life or safety. There were cases that they were the SUSPECTED cause, based on some cursory tests by flight crew at the time of occurrence, but subsequent testing by trained technicians were unable to duplicate the problem. In some cases the device MAY have been a contributing factor, but not necessarily the specific cause of the anomaly. Regarding the situation of cellphones affecting ILS, the report concludes that the chance of that actually happening is one in one million, or POTENTIALLY once every two years in normal U.S. flight operations. Besides, all commercial aircraft systems have some kind of redundancy. A failure or inaccuracy of the ILS system is backed up by something, greatly reducing the likelihood of a crash due to that one issue. Being involved with various airfield operations over the years (twenty three years in USAF Communications), I have seen various ILS failures occur during landings. None of them resulted in a crash.

Michael

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org> wrote:

On Mar 10, 2017, at 18:07, Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where is there any documentation of that? A search of aircraft incidents shows no record of any commuter flight crash at Grand Junction, let alone attributed to a cell phone. I have yet to find any documentation anywhere of a crash officially or otherwise caused by cellphone use. The one possible case was a small plane crash near Denver, where a Go-Pro camera mounted on the dash documented the pilot taking selfies with his phone just prior to losing control and crashing. While there are a few studies claiming the potential MAY exist for cellphones to interfere with navigational equipment, there are no documented cases of it actually happening.

Au Contraire... (or however you spell that crazy French word -- I just know English and Spanish ;-):

If you trust Boeing as somewhat of an authority on commercial airlines, read the following that's posted on their website ...

http://bit.ly/boeing_cellphone_report

Sherrod Munday
<smunday@ieee.org>

(Rich Roszel <rich@creativegeniusproductions.com>, 8 Mar 2017 23:49:13 -0000)
Re: Re: Comrex Remote Connections
(Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>, 10 Mar 2017 14:59:35 -0000)
Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
(Alan Kilgore <wrvm.engineer@gmail.com>, 10 Mar 2017 16:05:48 -0000)
Re: Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
(dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>, 10 Mar 2017 19:02:23 -0000)
Re: Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
(Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>, 10 Mar 2017 23:07:46 -0000)
Re: Cellphones on air flight - was Comrex Remote Connections
(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 10 Mar 2017 23:13:42 -0000)