Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:17:01 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=BsKuv5oHBlC7q+aAqPvAsYitbQaCbQnQgYhQms/iaEw=; b=DEQkMd1/uHsAMbUgtIuLBN3KOCvm+c7LFOTQ03+aPyEAcoo09CTfI75HKyDpspHo4V VTyJQkBq+3O9MkvtGD3pra4AycUchmFx79wlOp5VxGVtH608zHb7PrGZ9nerEMfs7tnl JFhRhWkRXmuZhHSjBMOzSoWa7JaVQxJnDZStiMsVaynNFgdczi/fDkuJalRqosRZsvjw BXkBjfTsAG5zxNrdYhmJGGAfYuCqNY7f8QIx8T66jxmRNo/m6i4iJMGHgYF3BVUyU/HW YzTCuhZJt7BB5cdmmKuG+jjlMmHh8NSEC0Zr8g2hMcwgWM0x9JnS/9Xl9NSvLbWeO2jE 4HVQ==
Yup, agreed on all points. I would guess somebody who's been "raised" in the Linux networking realm would find they are in a fairly comfortable world when working in the Imagestream user interface. I discovered that much a little later in the process.

I had some interest in learning the platform so I probably put more into it than I would have a few years later when I was spending all my spare time trying to get certified for Windows Server. But the guy I was working for at that point used Cisco for anything like that and I found I had to pick up some of the Cisco networking basics to do a couple of point-to-point links for our clients; that wasn't easy either but thankfully I didn't need to configure VPN or QoS on those so it wasn't too painful.

Sounds like we are of a similar understanding here but I wanted to mention the complexity not so much for Pat's sake (as he has stated he's not looking for a do-everything box) but for others who may be watching the thread and considering alternatives for the future.

Mark
MN

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org> wrote:
On Mar 10, 2017, at 17:51, Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org> wrote:
> It may have been your recommendation that led me to use Imagestream Transport routers for some T1 P2P WAN links for my previous employer. ...
> Great routers, but not simple to configure by any means.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I actually had that in my prior email, but cut it out to focus more on the concept of "you get what you pay for".  That really should be the take-away message I wanted to highlight.

To your point, Imagestream's user interface is anything but kid-friendly, and I've had two Microsoft IT admins (who worked for me in the past) both look at the Imagestream and give up after spending a while trying to figure it out.  (To be fair, neither one was a Linux sysadmin, and neither was really interested in learning that OS/platform -- and neither was a real networking guy, either.)

You're absolutely right, though -- as I was going to write previously, "Imagestream routers are not for the faint of heart."

But neither is it easy to fly a Boeing 747 or an F-35 fighter plane.  Both are incredibly complex and require extensive training and practice, and they're far more useful than a Cessna -- for a specific purpose.

Follow-Ups: Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>, 10 Mar 2017 23:23:09 -0000)
(Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>, 10 Mar 2017 19:56:18 -0000)
Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 10 Mar 2017 20:15:02 -0000)
Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>, 10 Mar 2017 20:28:34 -0000)
Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 10 Mar 2017 22:31:11 -0000)
Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>, 10 Mar 2017 22:51:17 -0000)
Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 10 Mar 2017 23:08:31 -0000)