Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
From: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:31:01 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ieee-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=f2zYQiAn6oRJFtPBsBojCGqf9ucxNog5OuaJwn6DzTI=; b=wlJzTSlX3U+rVrsIDq8zZtf7nYhLZdPecuqEww4mKnWIGhYJHOmwZ5kGOtVP4ngxhK +kQfBkpiCPDYoIS0KBq5h/cmb4bCf1E74K4XrQelUkzoxNr/ni+/FtaTMQMjWmcgiN/o FJRv+J9UjrFyM/Fu3FeWSmiKvb4fgR/zZfURzunqpffydBfX5v0XUednoIEamn2kfKfY SbOlGmB+IOkEBg7X+hzJVfdbavSn6P8wj7WmcBKfBAX/BIknmIZtFI9LTGzYGYbNq0l3 xz+wjOKhxtSHlIv1tq0WFTrTQJYVc+W6UCJt+/CSd2IgeSuDWZ3m7s8gmBkfLROu+BHe Macg==
On Mar 10, 2017, at 15:28, Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid I was not very clear. No need for Wi-Fi at all for this router. I just need a reliable connection to our IP to connect Tieline/Comrex codecs for remote broadcasts. Something that doesn't seem to "hang" randomly according to Murphy's law.

At my work we have some ~5-year old but low-use Imagestream Transport routers (about 1 RU high; ~1/2 rack width) that are powered by an Intel Atom processor.  They have one onboard Gigabit port and 4 more on an included add-in card.  No wireless; just routing.

I'm using one of them for the firewall in front of our FTP servers at work, and its uptime is something like a year and a half to two years.  The last time it rebooted was probably when the rack lost power; I honestly forget.   You don't get that kind of track record out of a Linksys or D-Link, IMHO.

They support SSH, VPN (including IPSEC and OpenVPN), QoS, and if you add an internal 2.5" HDD you can even set up stuff like a web server, Asterisk, and Squid (a caching proxy server).

If anyone's interested, contact me off-list -- we have several for sale, but they don't exactly fall into the realm of what I guess you may consider to be "inexpensive."  They *were* absolutely rock-solid when we were using a large number of them for a VPN-based WAN, though, and that is *far* more important to me as a broadcaster.

As I mentioned previously, it's all a matter of what your "must-have" list has on it.  If "inexpensive", tops your list, then that's going to rule out some feature sets, but if you don't need those features, then "inexpensive" may be perfectly fine.

But if "just works" tops your list and is absolutely non-negotiable, then you may want to think a bit about how important "inexpensive" is on your list.  Those two metrics aren't usually found together, for good reason.  You get what you pay for.

—
Sherrod Munday
<smunday@ieee.org>

Follow-Ups: Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
(Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>, 10 Mar 2017 22:51:17 -0000)