Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: inexpensive but reliable Internet router - does it exist?
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:46:13 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=MTtBJiuZX6cmIwbyqTT2n014flCEmTu2O00RJ/8EVKc=; b=NtsJ9HqPVvPZJY4+9Tisgjy/9lQtAuydb0psdLR987qV3HJvaFTv+7hAwCDBEV8x2R +RNI9XUdRa2bJKzpFGo+8LaCH2bddYesxpPLYTXltP6arZ1tCGN/w9IDxHWHsC4+76lT jxJXBkmOU3G1aeu+WglEA55vWTmZWywwJRIA0d8P7vRsyoA5dB8ys9yDIgwJw8uCjHU1 OXuGuWDZ4tZx4xoGrsXWujg2QPEpyOvfLP8Ze3cj72BxPpV5v3liW1ZQUDTz6xZ+XLZD jPXvkcX6Ja7QYWW+uj8ULvpKh2HWOroLxaXHNcwzlDGrcHDPPtgmfCwGsaLj8K9KsRlL v9dg==
My go-to low-end router without WiFi is still the Netgear FVS318G (I've been using these since the first hardware version in the early 2000s, through all the various members of the series). They have lots of LAN ports as well as a wired WAN port and work great. The new programming interface is just a little bit funky compared with the older ones but it works OK. If you're clumsy like me you might have to reset it once of twice before you get it figured out and successfully run the complete configuration.

I've got a lot of them in the field and they do everything you describe and more. They aren't quite as flexible in port forwarding as some others I've used but they have hardware VPN and I've built many tunnels with them. They also interoperate with Sonicwall pretty well on the VPN side of things. They do basic port forwarding just fine (no port translation as I recall, just forward an external port to the same port on an internal address). I've never needed anything other than the basics so for me it's been a great low-end NAT router.

And per your concern, they just don't "hang" at all, in my experience.

I've had maybe one major failure in all the ones I've installed over a decade-plus. They come in a metal case with a grounding screw and feel very solid. On the other hand, I've put in a lot of those Linksys plastic box ones over the years and had various failures with them. Worst of course is the WiFi which is not an issue for you at the moment, but they must push the chips very hard and after a while they just slowly lose range and become useless for wireless.

Hope you find what you're needing.

Mark
MN