Re: Unusual sources of dropouts (Was: SRN News audio Dropouts)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Unusual sources of dropouts (Was: SRN News audio Dropouts)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:03:21 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=jPszHTtXNL7EhYcK4mH6QDRajWIIx8gzluF8RI0xftE=; b=lM7c4Fq8WGYxbTFBMLeChnAKT/tZNgL8BYlcJa8SoUw1Q8fU34QYfe9ywVCo9UzYEU WxW8BBgkCfdNxxqMlCFlVyMHbl2VhSaXM3T5fD0EvN5z0tmz1Spp06YMVsDKmZCk4Uk1 OaVFkuhwbdYGR/8MkvG00WJjtMyiCOe/L/6/f8Yxmp/FxvyGc7Zdyg/kmH1P+gjuCEdM 3PP6ASgxMemeev//zOVQeOosLbRWU4ExyQyU0q1JpEaVVWLVHQZ5NLHNP35KP7QgDhnD 7iNzLBj6JOVsRudgUXgktd3IuFGJgz7gIZbgTsABl8Hqyc+dIZz1PGjGHYuKJhVYnZZn Toig==
Fascinating stories, all! ;)

It just strikes me as odd that I am only noticing these brief dropouts during the first 2 minute segment, and I haven't noticed them in the 2'nd. (Yet??)

In the days/weeks/months following 9/11, the AWACS planes were wreaking havoc on the satellite dish system... so a Dawnco filter was purchased and installed. Problem solved.

Thinking of weird interference issues... reminds me of a story I read some years back (was it here?) of a station that lost satellite reception on a regular basis, at about the same time of day each time. Long story short, someone had a radar detector in their car that stayed powered on when the car was parked. When they parked in a certain spot, RF leakage would knock out the satellite receiver.

Willie...

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org> wrote:
On Mar 10, 2017, at 12:10, Bill Hurne <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com> wrote:
> Probably not the cause of your dropouts, but years ago I heard a short satellite dropout.   An idea popped in my head and quickly looked at the sky, and sure enough a jetliner had just flown through where the dish was pointed.
​(SNIP)​

The resolution to that problem was a C-band bandpass filter from Microwave Filter Company.  (Dawnco now carries their filters for a better price.)

--
It seems their path to the satellite was shooting through a mountain pass, and the interstate went through that same path.  The trucks were just high enough to block the signal when they drove through the pass.

I have to say it's not too often we have to resolve "truck fade" in this business.  And that's a good thing.  :-)

--

And then there's the time that I had to help a station engineer with "cow fade" on his satellite dish...
Follow-Ups: Re: Unusual sources of dropouts (Was: SRN News audio Dropouts)