Re: Comrex Remote Connections
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Comrex Remote Connections
From: Rich Roszel <rich@creativegeniusproductions.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 18:48:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=ETOYQ86lWp1/hMtn5B6QbTAVshNLNuHcFziu2iWh4NA=; b=kR5Za04PFRS7VqIIrNOR1/aJhywuCIEwezcklaZrcOm87hfBSYPq4eGjZkuWT8tAAX 0vGP6j6XQ/Fg084bhwR5eMl1k0YfYk5QI21P7/TZCjZURQG2itOUMhIXb+uKE2Kvaq56 1cpoh2nA6+np/uSBQ465bAmCvrUnnogEoc7gKP/P++O7XRzpXlsV97ozsxY9zzG8XTl0 hnWmDn6+doix8lfKr847D34uoVKAZCQK8MsdQyq0wEcLW7JtTz0Ci+9JCq9aZi9hvIqR oPBR5z2oFoWI6S0aAO+xB7wO/Pg6U0R8qZZXUsVoEOCFutoHR96qLABNDgBHp7GLDNBY G3Jw==
Mark,

We don't have the Comrex Access, but do have the Telos Z/IP One.  I can tell you that Luci Live Lite sets up and connects nearly instantly with the Telos and works very nicely.  I've not tried it on a long connection yet, but for a short one, it's great.  Of course, you'll get better results using a proper microphone instead of the one built into your phone.  Also, be aware that Luci Live Lite is limited to G.722.  The benefit of Linphone is that it has the Opus Codec and it's FREE.  Luci Live Lite isn't very expensive, though.  The downside to Linphone is that it's actually just a SIP app designed for making phone calls and sending texts.  For that reason, it may not be as well suited for what you're wanting to do as Luci is.  Also, with either app, it would be worth turning all notifications off and putting it in airplane mode in terms of being able to accept calls.  Nothing like trying to do a remote and having it get interrupted by the announcer's phone getting a call.  I've not been able to get Linphone to work with the Telos so I'm merely speculating about this last concern.

Speaking of using a proper microphone, I'm liking the looks of the IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO.  It works on all platforms and gives you the option of connecting two mics rather than one.  Would love to hear of others' experiences with it or other interfaces.

Rich

Rich Roszel
Creative Genius Productions

   Sound Design and Audio Production