[no subject]
Since I'm just in the planning/startup phase of this current "Satellite
Status Display System" I have plenty of work ahead of me. :)

Zapping wasps with a laser would be totally cool... but I don't think it
would be wise! That beam could end up shining onto aircraft...a big fat
NO-NO!! ;) I use a preemptive method of spraying some "Raid" into the
feedhorn in spring and again in summer. No problems since I started doing
that!

We *DID* end up with a rather LARGE wasp nest on the BACK of the dish, tho!
Saturating THAT with the long-spray "Raid" was almost too much fun! ;)

There are some really awesome videos on YouTube of all kinds of fascinating
and ingenious methods of wasp destruction/carnage! One of the most
satisfying is where a guy uses a fairly large drone... the sound of
hundreds of wasps being smashed by the propellers is just too satisfying in
a strange way! He flies the thing into the nest, so that one of the props
slices a nice big gash into it... then when the wasps start swarming the
"invader"... the prop-carnage ensues! ;)

Another guy mounted a motor with a "string" on it (akin to a weed whacker)
right near the "I/O port" of a wasp nest, and left it running. As they
tried to get in/out... WHAP!! ;)

Willie...

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us> wrote:

> SNMP=simple network management protocol
> SMTP=simple mail transfer protocol
> close but not the same.
>
> putting SNMP into the rcvr FW is in the 'hmmm, interesting' stage. but it
> would be a network thing. does your PICaxe connect to the network?
>
> adding serial out to the rcvr is something that would be handy for
> troubleshooting and other things. but it would be 'all new', with
> consequences unknown.
>
> optionally using relay4 for an ebno threshold would make sense and fit in
> with other optional 'assigned'relays, 6 for rf acquired, 5 for time.
>
> none of that will exist this winter, maybe next. or maybe for wasp
> season... a snow/wasp alarm... so what if your PICaxe controls a laser that
> zaps the wasps?
>
> dave allen
>
> On 2/6/2017 8:00 AM, Willie Barnett wrote:
>
> Do I really get the credit for this one? :) I'm honored! To think... it's
> all because of my current Tinkeritis project!! ;) (LONG LIVE THE TINKERERS!)
>
> The UI software already displays the EbNo on the PC screen pretty much
> continuously. Thus, it may not even be necessary to change the code in the
> AMR100, but just in the UI. Then, the serial port of the PC can become the
> interface! :) I kinda like that idea!! (Dave? What think ye?)
>
> SNMP is already part of the UI, as the system WILL send an e-mail on
> certain conditions. :)
>
> Still MUCH easier to design a PICaxe program to respond to a logic level
> than to parse a serial input. (But it certainly CAN!) I don't think SNMP is
> even possible, tho... but an Arduino with an Ethernet Shield could probably
> do that.
>
> Willie...
>

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The beauty of being able to retrieve the actual value, as opposed to a
>> simple closure, is to react differently to the data. For example, a gradual
>> decrease in value would result in a different response than a sudden large
>> decrease. A lower reading might generate a warning indication while a major
>> change or loss of signal would give a priority alarm.
>> I am not that familiar with the AMR-100 receiver. Perhaps there is some
>> way to query it's status via the ethernet port instead of the serial port?
>> IIRC, isn't there a website that displays the Eb/No of various receivers
>> around the country? That would imply the status is somehow obtainable via
>> the network connection. Implementing that data retrieval for local alarm
>> use with a microcontroller should be doable. Does the receiver do any sort
>> of SNMP?  That may also be an option.
>>
>> Just kicking ideas around on the fly. (See what you started, Willie?)
>>
>> Michael

--f403045ddf742d42ba0547dfcb76

axe is a pretty basic system. (Pun intended.) :) <br><br>I&#39;m enjoying w=
orking with it to do a few different things here... one being a nice &quot;=
big digit&quot; timer for local Pastors to use while recording a 4:30 vigne=
tte we produce &amp; air daily. So far, those that have used it, LOVE it. :=
) That makes my day! (It started life as all 7400 series chips, but it wasn=
&#39;t working, and it&#39;s builder left no schematics! Trying to reverse-=
engineer it was nigh impossible!) So, only the 3 display driver chips remai=
n, and are controlled by a PICaxe chip. (The case &amp; displays are unchan=
rom what I can see, the PICaxe chips I&#39;m using for these projects are d=
efinitely not capable of network protocols! The best I can hope for, would =
be serial I/O and parsing. Their BASIC language does include serial port co=
>Since I&#39;m just in the planning/startup phase of this current &quot;Sat=
ellite Status Display System&quot; I have plenty of work ahead of me. :)<br=
asps with a laser would be totally cool... but I don&#39;t think it would b=
e wise! That beam could end up shining onto aircraft...a big fat NO-NO!! ;)=
 I use a preemptive method of spraying some &quot;Raid&quot; into the feedh=
orn in spring and again in summer. No problems since I started doing that!<=
* end up with a rather LARGE wasp nest on the BACK of the dish, tho! Satura=
ting THAT with the long-spray &quot;Raid&quot; was almost too much fun! ;)<=
re some really awesome videos on YouTube of all kinds of fascinating and in=
genious methods of wasp destruction/carnage! One of the most satisfying is =
where a guy uses a fairly large drone... the sound of hundreds of wasps bei=
ng smashed by the propellers is just too satisfying in a strange way! He fl=
ies the thing into the nest, so that one of the props slices a nice big gas=
h into it... then when the wasps start swarming the &quot;invader&quot;... =
the prop-carnage ensues! ;)<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:=
small">Another guy mounted a motor with a &quot;string&quot; on it (akin to=
 a weed whacker) right near the &quot;I/O port&quot; of a wasp nest, and le=
ft it running. As they tried to get in/out... WHAP!! ;)<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
il_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, d=
ave allen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:crtech-mail@reyware.us"; t=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    SNMP=3Dsimple network management protocol<br>
    SMTP=3Dsimple mail transfer protocol<br>
    close but not the same.<br>
    putting SNMP into the rcvr FW is in the &#39;hmmm, interesting&#39; sta=
ge.
    but it would be a network thing. does your PICaxe connect to the
    network?<br>
    adding serial out to the rcvr is something that would be handy for
    troubleshooting and other things. but it would be &#39;all new&#39;, wi=
th
    consequences unknown.<br>
    optionally using relay4 for an ebno threshold would make sense and
    fit in with other optional &#39;assigned&#39;relays, 6 for rf acquired,=
 5
    for time.<br>
    none of that will exist this winter, maybe next. or maybe for wasp
    season... a snow/wasp alarm... so what if your PICaxe controls a
    laser that zaps the wasps?<br>
    dave allen<br>
M, Willie Barnett
      wrote:<br>
          get the credit for this one? :) I&#39;m honored! To think... it&#=
39;s
          all because of my current Tinkeritis project!! ;) (LONG LIVE
          THE TINKERERS!)<br>
          software already displays the EbNo on the PC screen pretty
          much continuously. Thus, it may not even be necessary to
          change the code in the AMR100, but just in the UI. Then, the
          serial port of the PC can become the interface! :) I kinda
          like that idea!! (Dave? What think ye?)<br>
          already part of the UI, as the system WILL send an e-mail on
          certain conditions. :) <br>
          Still MUCH easier to design a PICaxe program to respond to a
          logic level than to parse a serial input. (But it certainly
          CAN!) I don&#39;t think SNMP is even possible, tho... but an
          Arduino with an Ethernet Shield could probably do that.<br>
            Michael Barnes <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:barnmich=
ael@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">barnmichael@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                actual value, as opposed to a simple closure, is to
                react differently to the data. For example, a gradual
                decrease in value would result in a different response
                than a sudden large decrease. A lower reading might
                generate a warning indication while a major change or
                loss of signal would give a priority alarm.=C2=A0
                  receiver. Perhaps there is some way to query it&#39;s
                  status via the ethernet port instead of the serial
                  port? IIRC, isn&#39;t there a website that displays the
                  Eb/No of various receivers around the country? That
                  would imply the status is somehow obtainable via the
                  network connection. Implementing that data retrieval
                  for local alarm use with a microcontroller should be
                  doable. Does the receiver do any sort of SNMP?=C2=A0 That
                  may also be an option.=C2=A0</div>
                  (See what you started, Willie?)</div>

--f403045ddf742d42ba0547dfcb76--