[no subject]
Mark A

-----Original Message-----
From: Lamar Owen [mailto:lowen@pari.edu]=20
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 10:35
To: CRTech
Subject: Re: [CRTech] Business Class UPS

On 09/24/2015 11:48 AM, Steve Tuzeneu wrote:
> Hi Guys:
>
> Has anyone heard of a business class UPS (the size of a refrigerator=20
> or
> larger) where you can "hot swap" batteries?
>
> I seem to remember a friend saying he had such.
>
> If you know of such, please send me a link.

Since you did say, "or larger" I'll mention that our Mitsubishi 9900B (see =
http://www.meppi.com/Products/UninterruptiblePowerSupplies/products/Pages/9=
900B.aspx
) with four battery cabinets can hotswap, but only because each cabinet has=
 its own battery breaker.  It does not have to be placed in bypass to take =
one or more cabinets offline, and any single cabinet can hold the full load=
.  But, then again, our 9900B is a 500KVA UPS and probably a bit larger tha=
n you are thinking of.

546VDC is indeed scary stuff, especially since the batteries (40 large 12VD=
C sealed AGM units in each cabinet) have large short-circuit ratings.  By t=
he way, a large battery installation like that may require full arc flash p=
rotection to work on, and depending upon how the arc flash calcs in NFPA 70=
E Section 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b) go you might need the full leather 40 cal PPE.=
 Ours only needs the 8 cal suit that I have, with gloves, balaclava, face s=
hield, etc.  And remember the cotton clothing and underclothing specified b=
y 70E, too.