[no subject]
The distinction is in the wording:

A telco's exchange (POP/CO) may indeed have equipment installed that
is capable of providing and/or supporting SIP features and SMS & other
wireless-type features.

However, if the service handoff to your in-house telephones is *POTS*
(Plain Old Telephone System) then you're not going to be able to send
and/or receive text messages and enhanced features unless you also
have auxiliary devices like computers, smart phones, tablets, SIP soft
phones or SIP handsets, etc. to supplement the voice service of a
"phone" landline.

So, looking back at your earlier email:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM,  <tech@voiceofchristmedia.org> wrote:
> Most USA land lines are capable of receiving text messages. If you are still with an ILEC you might need to port your number to a VoIP provider to get this capability.

If the goal is to add texting to a legacy POTS-based landline number,
you'd have to use a SMS-capable ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange
Carrier) or CLEC (Competitive LEC) *and* use some form of smart device
other than your dumb phones that are wired to the RJ-11 house
telephone jacks.

For a station wanting to connect with listeners, this wouldn't be a
hindrance: they'd likely be wanting to receive and process SMS
messages on a computer anyway.  (This certainly would be a great
solution to log all interactions for the FCC file.)

To get the integrated single-device experience that most people are
accustomed to getting from a smartphone wireless/cellular solution,
you'd obviously have to upgrade from POTS.  That was my only point.

The underlying issue here is the terminology of what type of service
is included in a "landline."  Originally it was POTS lines only, and
then T-1 or ISDN (BRI or PRI).  These days, you could consider
SIP-based providers to provide a "landline" service too -- but you'd
have to decide if the distinction should be whether a "landline" phone
service also includes voice (+ enhanced features) delivered over
**IP** instead of only being limited to a Cat-1 single-pair
copper-based POTS service that ***doesn't need any external/extra
power source***.

Even the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landline
draws distinctions between conventional POTS landline service and VoIP
service.

At the end of the email, it's just wording ... it's nothing worth
losing any sleep over.  As long as people agree on terminology and
it's not wrong, call it a "can and string" solution if you want to.

:-)

--Sherrod