Re: For the tinkerers among us... :)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: For the tinkerers among us... :)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 12:20:42 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=QLp734rG2hLzyNQCYarL7lfFCdKJoqMrchZtet5XTE0=; b=Kek2Gyb7zQEhoDjch67Rj3eCjEK8dox3bQhf3wLdjL3KkpyiyxobNcrc1V3t0uuT2o MgshYKk9IIZnQPb1GvmpqgFo5CaPSA7wmrlGeBtswfXhCxk0fgqpS+HWSW9bSimWvYjA KeAeFwf5jDDURohW38xdKgCIpcxox52X8jVzyRFsBu/+Sm3pOuE5hI4UDbeIlCkwWJpR yX/lTCVLduyWuM3jXBeXyPd22shbypHYVQaD/F5RNL10zlcaTAcfxtA6At4efSsmKnuP KPcwX94bY7dlrhlHC7SMyC6xQa505AyVv/Zcm0ZGCqdN4wa1fL4sDRrT6LwDdL2mmxBi 0YcQ==
Ah, nifty! I like your way of thinking! :) I know what you mean about time constraints... much of my tinkeritis happens at home. Sometimes, I even take work-related tinkeritis home, so that I can just "Git 'er DONE!" ;) (40 x-mitters! YIKES!!)

The idea of the red LED ring around the mics is great! (I Googled those mic arms... they're not cheap!) Just make sure it isn't too bright! ;) I like the fact that modern LED's are so incredibly efficient! You can run them at less than a milliamp, and still get MORE light than older LED's gave you with 10ma! (In fact, I recently discarded a few dozen unused, old LED's from my personal collection because they were pathetically dim at 10ma!)

Lighting the mics with white is not a bad idea, either, when other mics in the room are active! You COULD even get fancy, and make them "modulate" bright/dim. ;)

Flashing the red light during EAS would be especially helpful if you have a "sidechain" audio path when the mic is open, as I do here. Because of the several millisecond delay caused by the digital Moseley STL, I had to rig that up so that the staff could hear themselves without that delay. If an EAS activation happens while they are on-mic, they don't hear it because the EAS doesn't interrupt the sidechain. That happened once, and I startled someone when I tapped their shoulder in the middle of a mic break, to tell her the EAS was active. ;)

I recently bought two Arduino Mega boards, when MPJA.COM was offering them at 1/2 price. I'm sure I'll find SOMETHING to use them for! ;) I have a LAN shield, and it would probably be best to use with one of those... more memory, more ports, more abilities! :) I'm thinking of a rudimentary remote control/telemetry type application. I'm sure there are a few WEB-aware "sketches" out there that I could adapt! ;) (Programming in C++ is still pretty new to me!)

I haven't ventured into RasPi, yet... I should! being a full blown Linux computer, it has many possibilities! :)

Thanks for the tinkeritis chat! I hope others are enjoying it, too! :)

Willie...