 Subject: RE: [CRTech] Vibration damper for guy wires?
 To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
 Date: Friday, November 22, 2013, 4:53 PM
=20
 Just a thought...WHY are the ground
 wires breaking?
=20
 If this is metal fatigue due to the ground wire flexing or
 if not enough
 wire length was left, that's one thing.=A0 But I wonder
 if this could be a
 symptom of a more serious problem...i.e.: galloping guy
 wires.=A0 We have had
 two instances of this issue within our network.=A0 One
 was on a 500 ft. stick
 that occurred before I joined the company.=A0 The second
 was on a 1,000 ft.
 tower where we started to encounter broken grounding wires
 on one set of
 guys.=A0 We came to the conclusion that when the wind was
 out of a certain
 direction at a certain speed, the guy wires on one leg
 started to oscillate.
 We learned there were two types of oscillation - low and
 high frequency.
 The cure is different for each.=A0 We were able to
 resolve our problem by
 installing Dogbone Vibration Dampers made by Dulmison.=A0
 There are more
 extensive (and expensive) solutions available for more
 serious problems.
 One thing that gave me the creeps was that the galloping
 action had caused
 an anchor pin to begin creeping out of the equalizer
 plate.=A0 I would hate to
 see you resolve the issue of grounding wires breaking
 (masking a symptom)
 while not solving the real cause.
=20
 John E. Beck