[no subject]
The only ones that bother me are the sparkley, blue aftermarket lights some
of the kids put on their "angry bumble-bee" sounding cars.  They flicker and
flash as they go by, and it's really distracting.

Properly done, factory HID lights shouldn't be a problem for on-coming
cars...as long as the driver dims them, and they are adjusted properly.
They may aggravate the vision of people with cataracts more however, but the
color temp of them is close to that of normal sun light, and the spectrum is
more even than many other lamps.

Back to the subject of LED's...
I've noticed some of the same problems with cheap white LED replacements.
I bought some at Lowes a few years ago, and within 3 months, they were down
to about half their new brightness.  I also replace the LED's in the night
lights in my house about every year or so.

A few years ago, I started replacing dial lights in tuners and receivers
with them.  Similar problems.  In one receiver that I leave on all the time
in my shop, after about 6 months, the dial was going dim.  This was running
them at about half their rated current.  Many white LED's are not all they
are cracked up to be.  The phosphor does wear out, and sometimes it wears
out faster than an incandescing lamp would fail.

Colors are a different story.  Just look at the front of most equipment
built since the early 80's.  Nearly all the colored LED's are still bright.
I've switched to using colored LED's in some dial lighting.  Amber looks
fine in most things (blue in McIntosh and Marantz of course!)

I'm fairly sure there are some newer white LED's that can last a lot
longer...but I don't know the difference between the good ones, and the ones
that wear out after 6 months...and I'm not sure how to drive them.  The ones
in a replacement lamp I bought recently at Menards look like little
multi-segment yellow surface-mount chips (when off).  I'm guessing the
driver is self contained.  I'm trying these out now in a location that stays
lit 24/7.  They are VERY bright.  We will see.

Dave O.