[no subject]
 It's also possible that the wire is loose in the socket.  The wires just
jam into the back of the socket (or top, depending on how you look at it)
into a spring loaded contact.  You may disturb things enough when you remove
the diffuser that it makes momentary contact.

Ron Zorn

ps - check for RF from the electronic ballast!  I like the old kind better.
They outlast the electronic 2 or 3 to one!

(18 years as custodian at our church BTW)